Thursday, September 01, 2005

Doubly devastating on the ground

Where is my mind?



Saw The Pixies last night. Oh oh oh, they really are the best band to me. For Claire it's The Cure. Coldplay makes George emotional (and me angry and a bit gassy).

For me it's always been about The Pixies. Oh Black Francis, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and the drummer... what's his name Wikipedia?... Dave Lovering. Oh how I love you!

The Pixies are a pop rock band that sound entirely different from every other pop rock band that came before them. My opinion is that it is because of a variety of musical loves that includes The Carpenters, Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash, The Clash, gothy shoegazer prettyboy sounds, and Spanish mariachi. Glossy clean guitars, punk energy, vocal humor, brilliant melodics. A musical melting pot, A bizarre crossbreeding experiment of pop sensibilities, art-rock conceptualism, punk and nasty guitar riffs.

Joey did a pretty awesome solo in Vamos, unplugging his guitar and feedbacking with his cable and other connectors while playing with his drumstick.

One night upon my motorcycle through the desert sped
And smashed my body so that all my friends thought I was dead
My sister held me close and whispered to my bleeding head
"You are the son of a mother fucker"


Can you imagine going to a Coldplay concert? Chris's whingeing voice orrating on the evils of corporate sponsorship. Gwynney handing out wholemeal muffins. T-shirts on sale that don't exploit the children of Bolivia. All very admirable, and hey I admit that I like some of their music too, but who wants to hear preaching? Where is the passion?

My first British stadium venue too, the Alexandra Palace. Huge. Of course I still love the ol' Enmore because it's a more intimate a setting, but the Palace was impressive.





Had to share this beauty with you. President Bush on Katrina. Doubly devastating! Super devastating! Devastating to the power of infinty! Infinity plus one!

The president spent 35 minutes looking out the window as the aircraft passed over Louisiana and Mississippi and clearly saw the damaged roof of the New Orleans Superdome and the city's flooded neighborhoods.
Air Force One flew about 2,500 feet over New Orleans and about 1,700 feet over Mississippi.
"It's devastating. It's got to be doubly devastating on the ground," Bush said.

No comments: