Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Machines of Loving Grace


Title is a small reference to my Goth roots, but also to a strange discussion with Tim and G about what sex by strobe lights would be like.

"We'd look like robots/love machines."

This morning, along with MoLG, I put on some old skool goth anthems NIN, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, the Jesus and Mary Chain. The older I get, the harder it is to escape my cultural roots. They just keep coming back to haunt me, trip me up.

Skinny Puppy were out here last week and I'm kicking myself in retrospect for not going. Mad Dog and Gnomes went. I don't think I like their music anymore but I'm curious to what they look like now, and I've heard they are more electronica, less thrashy goth metal now.

Caught up with MD on Saturday night and went to Indie bar. Turns out we have a more mutual friends in Newtown that have moved to this side of the world, including that crazy Dutch couple Henk and Luisa! Probably the coolest kids I know and now they are back in Holland. Isn't that weird? Wow, I want to look them up and start making films with Luisa again... They used to make me feel guilty for having a career and a boyfriend. Too many things to tie me down, and not enough freedom to be creative, be in bands, and have satanists for best friends. They were right.

Made a resolution last night to cool things a bit with my lovely Nordic friend. He's keen for me to come over every other day. While that's nice, there is no room for me to be me when we're together.

God, he's so young. Talking about songs that came out when he was in high school and I was at Uni. Oasis is his Nirvana. Kurt Cobain died when he was 13 for chrissake. If we are the result of our culture, then we are fundamentally different. He's a young flexible sappling twisting and waving his branches to trippy trance tunes while I'm an old fat oak or an overgrown weeping willow set in my Goth and rock ways.

No comments: