Friday, August 12, 2005

A blast, and a slight burp, from the past

One of the great things about moving to the other side of the world is that you get the opportunity to cut ties with people without hurting anyone's feelings. So imagine my surprise and delight when I ran into one such person on the weekend.

We used to call her Molly, or The German, because she was notouriously dizzy and had no sense of humour. Memory somehow faded and softened her. In my mind, I had not been kind enough and patient enough. Perhaps the fault lies with me, I thought.

Only 5 minutes after talking to her I realised I was wrong. No, no, the problem is her. I'd forgotten how boring she is! She was blahing on unfettered about some shite. English guy made a joke, and she just kept on talking, barrelling over him. We stared on, incredulous at her lack of humour.

She insisted we walk to tube together to be safe, but then faffed about when she got there, so I ended up mising my last train home! She offered me a space on her floor. I chose the taxi. So, in a way, she has cost me £20 and 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

I also ran into someone quite lovely at the party. Girl from uni who immediately recognised me. "Did you use to go out with Stewart at Macquarie?" We lived only a few houses away from each other and used to have a lot of parties. Her flatmate went out with my flatmate. Now she's over in London. The world really is a funny old small place. Eventually you do run into everyone cool that you've ever met, as long as you follow your dreams and stay true to yourself.

Like the t-shirt sayeth: "I've got a black belt in keeping it real."

No comments: