Monday, October 24, 2005

The C word and the L word

Another emotional roller coaster of a weekend. Friday night saw friend Ash's new band 'Manifesto'. Quite good. Told him they were "effortlessly cool". Quite a stretch as they were actually putting in a big effort, but Ash was well chuffed with that descriptor. Lead singer has a great look but couldn't sing and play bass at the same time. His voice is a little weak. Ash actually plays better on all instruments but is the only one that can play the drums -isn't that always the way?

Kicked back to Searles Rd - the party house - for more drinks. G got coked up and annoying. I'm learning to hate the 'C' word. Class 1As are for losers.

Sat morning we upped and left for Hamble holiday weekend. Lost my new hat en route at London Bridge Underground station. Devastated about losing the hat. My lucky elf hat! I only just got it in Oz and never going to find another one! Beanies that suit me are as rare as monkeys from the moon.

Drove down to Hamble, through beautiful green English countryside, for an afternoon of croquet, wine and watching the boats on the water. G and I listened to the football upstairs and watched the water. Ry got stuck on a boat without a paddle.

After all the tension with the fight and the hat, I hadn't eaten all day. Ended up stonkers drunk and made some outrageous comments, apparently. We had an excellent meal. I chopped the potatoes! But Andrew and Eng are the true chefs.

Anja is really into her board (bored) games. We played "Mr and Mrs". For the uninitiated this a game for couples written by divorce lawyers. Ry and Stech, Eng and Kat, andy and anja, so it was naturally G and I. Qtns included: 'who does your partner think has the best legs in the room?' (All 8 people answered George). And 'What would your partner say is your most annoying habit?' (I was outraged. 'What do you mean you don't like my jokes?') This game caused major riffs in the groups and lots of couple fights. Particularly after G and me won over all the real couples in the room - even a married one. Kat: 'Why are we even married? You don't know me at all!' Board games abandoned for shots.

That's where my memory fails me.

I woke up half clothed and on a table. My body made it to the bed, my shirt made it off, but my jeans were on and my head was laying on a table. Not sure how I managed it.

We were all a little fragile Sunday morning. Shaking with vows of 'never again'.

It was a lovely afternoon of mushroom picking, playing with bin Tang - the dog, more cooking and eating (Eng and I made curry puffs), croquet which degenerated into crolf - a game invited by ry and andy that was a mix of cricket and golf, bike rides etc. I even climbed a tree!

Then back to polluted old london. I do love the lush green English countryside. It is lovelier than the arid dustbowl we have at home.

No comments: