Thursday, June 30, 2005

News from home

siobhan says:
Feels like everything at home has changed now. It would be weird to go back.
Tim says:
things are changing, but not really that much - we're all the same people, and the place looks the same
Tim says:
except for the fact they've painted all the streets red and introduced half a million koalas to back yards
Tim says:
the incidence of muggings by koalas has gone up 45%
Tim says:
surly little buggers
Tim says:
i saw one driving a cab the other day
Tim says:
passenger looked a bit wigged


It's true that I have been a bit blue for the Pacific Ocean and wide open spaces, but there are so many things I don't miss about home too. Sometimes I have to make a list to remind myself:

I miss the sound of cicadas in summer.
I don't miss the smell of burning chicken in summer pumping from O'Porto's chimneys Newtown.

I miss summer storms.
I don't miss the drought.

I miss the bush fires (in a way. Is that bad?).
I don't miss public transport.

I miss my mates.
I don't miss being the only person who hadn't seen the world (that's all changed).

I miss fresh fruit and vegetables and the weird tang to tap water.
I don't miss the lack of international live music.

I miss drinking out of the hose in summer, wearing a short skirt with freshly cut grass stuck to my brown shins.
I don't miss itchy eyes and hayfever.

I miss the Goths in Newtown, sweltering in black.
I don't miss the Kath and Kim fashion-sense. (Well, I miss it a little bit).

I miss jumping into clean, warm, crisp ocean.
I don't missing being dumped in a swell.

I miss the Aussie laconic humour.
I don't miss homophobia and racism.

I miss having a tan.
I don't miss melonomas.

I miss taking the piss out of John Howard.
I don't miss John Howard.

No comments: