Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Fall

I saw the Fall on Friday night. Awesome. My first proper English mosh - not one of those oh so polite ones, but real rough and tumble, arcs of beer in the air, elbows in the rib cage type of mosh pits.

Here's an education for those that don't know The Fall, because I feel your life lacks colour without them in your life. Do yourself a favour and watch these vids. Artists that ripped off the Fall include: Sonic Youth and Pavement.

Great doco on Mark E Smith - the founder and only constant member of a band that exemplifies his - and our - dysfunction and disaffectation. There's been so many members it's like Mark E Smith runs the band like a guest house. this is just part 1 of a 9 part series, but should give you an idea. "I don't want to give my secrets away to these idiots at the BBC, you understand?" Mark E Smith to the BBC journo.

John Peel introducing them - back in 1983... I challenge you not to like them here.

Probably one of their most famous tunes. Pretty funky, but I love it.

This is recent. They've still got it.

This is also recent, the pretty (but terrible) keyboardist is Mark E Smith's wife. Note the 20 year age diff. I love the way he coaches her at the beginning. Great bass line though.

No comments: